Many of my clients ask me concerning the big square box in the center portion of the house’s upper floor ceiling behind some self-closing louvers. It’s an entire house fan also it can either benefit homeowners or make living conditions worse.
* Preferably mild climates with cooler and fewer humid nights
* Make use of it only if the temperature and humidity outside is more favorable in comparison to the conditions indoors. When your air conditioner system has been operating during the day, along with the temperature outside drops lower (however the humidity is still high), don’t turn the top tumblr. The vent will suck all the humid air into your air conditioned house
* The optimum time periods to work with it might be, of course, morning hours and evening
Should you suffer from allergies, it will not be a smart idea to bring all the pollution in the house. Your window screens will stop a few of it, but whole house fans are extremely powerful and forces you to sneeze more than ever before.
1. Prior to turn the fan on, open as much doors and windows as you possibly can, close fireplace damper and / or glass door, and shut the furnace / hot water heater room doors (should they be louver type, it won’t matter). The suction in the whole house fan (a minimum of in the highest speed) is very great, that without open windows / doors, it is going to draw air from the outside through any possible openings like, for example, through the chimney. If it is a fireplace chimney and you don’t remove the ashes… well, it’s going to be a mess. When it is a water heater / furnace chimney, it could blow off of the pilots.
2. When things are all ready, you can activate the full house fan and in most cases throughout the next few seconds you ought to feel a lot of exterior air flowing around the house. Unless…
3. This part is equally important as opening the doors and windows – both have to be balanced to operate properly in order to really gain benefit from the whole house fan operation. The atmosphere drawn through the whole house fan needs to be discharged with the attic vents for the exterior. Otherwise, pressure created within the attic area will cause the air which had been just pulled out of your house to return with dust and insulation particles through any possible gaps within the attic wh0le and the whole house fan itself.
Regular attic ventilation will not be enough to aid the Tumblr operation; you may need considerably more to hold everything extra level of air towards the exterior. Along with the formula to calculate the square footage of the attic vents required to discharge that air is very simple. You just need the dimensions of your entire rooms:
Example: your ceilings are 8′ high and you will have four 10′ x 14′ rooms, one 15′ x 17′ room, plus a 10′ x 3′ hallway (this is only a sample, calculate all the rooms within your house you think must be covered)
10’x14’x8′ = 1120×4 = 4480
15’x17’x8′ = 2040
10’x3′ = 30
Total – 6550 cubic feet
Now you must to divide 6550 by 750, which equals 8.73 sq feet – this is the portion of the required attic vents (every one of them combined – soffit, ridge, gable, etc.)
4. If the house you’re relocating to offers the whole house fan already installed, lets hope it was properly sized up due to its purpose (there can be a tag around the unit itself), which would be to replace your residence air within just a few minutes.
5. If you’re the main one installing the whole house fan, consider 3 or 4 minutes as an optimal time for your house air exchange. To achieve that, you’d need to divide your property total air volume (6550 cubic feet from the sample) by 3 or 4 minutes. Which will give us 1810 CFM / 1357.5 CFM (Cubic Feet per Minute).
6. Yet another important thing: louvers of the page are certainly not air tight and also have no insulation placed onto their surface; they leak air involving the house and attic. I would personally recommend installing a huge house fan cover in attic area in order to avoid air drafts through the cold season – don’t forget to eliminate it before you decide to utilize the fan again.
Whole house fans are noisy and many people never utilize them, however they might benefit your wallet when you apply the suggestions above. You can find currently other types of house ventilation systems available: they cost more (2 – three times) but very quiet, more effective, and provide air flow for long time periods.